The Filapek Family

The Filapek Family

Monday, July 20, 2015

Summer Stage: The Wiz

Way back in the early spring, Juliana and I got the idea in our heads to be part of Summer Stage this year.  This year's show was The Wiz, a funky take on the traditional Wizard of Oz.  At first, I wasn't so keen on the show (we watched the movie before auditions and almost quit!) but now I love it!  It was super fun to be part of (though still a little weird at times!)  We went through the audition process  (I almost wet my pants I was so nervous!)....we went in groups of 10.  Everyone sat on stage together.  When it was our turn, we stood up at the front of the stage and did our bit....with about SIX people staring at us and writing things down.  Oh. My. Goodness.  But...I did it, and I will do it again just for the end experience:)  (by the way, Juliana had none of these qualms...I guess she's an old pro!)

She was cast as a Munchkin and a Winkie (slave of the wicked witch).  I was cast as an Ozian and a Winkie.  We were each in 4 scenes, but I was a background singer in the pit orchestra for most of the first act!  That in itself was an awesome experience.

I was, by far, the oldest in my dressing room and one of only a few adults.  But I made some new friends and had a blast.  Juliana made some new friends in her group as well (one of her friends from school was actually in it with her!) but her favorite people were some of the leads!  She fell in love with the two high schoolers cast as Dorothy (double cast!)

It was many, many nights away from home for rehearsals, and I'm so thankful that Joe gave us the go ahead.  He and Connor had a LOT of bonding time!  The last week of rehearsals (tech week) was long and grueling (5:30-10 each night!) but we had a blast practicing on the stage of the Paramount Theater.

It all ended with 4 wonderful shows.  Thanks to all the family and friends who came out to see us perform or sent their words of support! 

This was our promo video:  

This was the big time for us!  Going through the stage door of the Paramount, getting our dressing rooms, rehearsing on the big, beautiful stage!


 
 
Ozians in our dressing room
 




    

Charia, Erin and me in the pit doing backup
 


 
 

 


Maddie and Juliana
 




apparently Connor was NOT impressed with Act 1!



 

Connor fulfills his dream of being on stage!
Madelyn is ready to be an Ozian!

Juliana, Ashley (Dorothy) and Defne
 




Defne, Kate (Dorothy) and Juliana


 All in all, an awesome experience!  Can't wait for the next one.

No comments: