The Filapek Family

The Filapek Family

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Disney World-Getting Ready!

Planning a trip to Disney World these days is akin to planning a wedding!  There is so much information out there to help you plan every aspect of your trip.  This is a blessing and a curse.  I felt overwhelmed with where to start and just what might be worthwhile and what would not!  We enlisted the help of a Disney travel agent who is a parent at Steck.  (she founded a wonderful company called travelbeCAUSE in which she donates 10% of her commission to a non-profit of your choice!)  She was super helpful in the early stages of planning (dates, resorts, etc) as well as helped to secure some of our ADRs (advance dining reservations-yes, it's true-to eat at a sit-down restaurant at Disney World, you have to get a reservation (if you can!) 180 days in advance!!) and fast pass + choices (to skip the line!).  Thanks Christine for all of your help:)
This trip initially came about as an idea (mostly the kids) of how to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary.  Mom and Dad weren't super interested at first, but just after Christmas, they came around to the idea quickly!  We decided to stay at one of the Value resorts on property because they were paying for all of us.  Although the rooms weren't anything to write home about, the kids enjoyed the theming of the All Star Music resort.

the kids liked climbing on the giant letters (MUSIC) near the bus stop each morning
I found so many cute ideas on Pinterest for things to make to make the trip more special.  We painted these old medicine bottles to keep money for pressed pennies which were a simple (inexpensive) souvenir found all over the parks.

We needed some way to countdown to our big day, so I made this Countdown calendar.  The kids really looked forward to taking turns to put the new number up.  Here is Juliana on the morning of our trip!

We also found a great idea for an autograph book.  We bought the Disney Encyclopedia of Animated Characters which basically had a page for almost any Disney character we might come across.  We added a couple extra pages as well as blank cardstock next to those characters we thought we might meet so we could add a picture right in the book.  The kids really enjoyed meeting characters throughout the trip, so I'm glad we took the time to make this!




Finally, what is a family vacation to Disney World without matching shirts!  The kids made tie-dyed Mickey shirts/dresses.  Although they didn't turn out perfect, they were happy with the results.  I also made matching mickey head shirts for the whole group using iron-on vinyl.  It was not hard, and I was (mostly) happy with the results and we looked great!  (Connor was bummed initially that he didn't get a glitter shirt....)


the finished dresses (kind of!)
 
 
all 10 shirts-good thing we don't have a bigger family:)
I decided that Connor needed a little Prince Charming outfit for one of our character dinners, so I put this together.  I LOVE it and he was the hit of the dinner that night!   



Other planning included buying specialty items like cooling towels, mister fans, glow sticks, etc. and lots of other "Disney-related" merchandise to try to ward off the "gimmes" and save some money in the process:)

No comments: